Saturday 6 July 2013

Banff Part One


Hi everyone,

Finally out West! Left New York on 27th June, pretty long day as flew via Texas, arrived in Banff around 11pm and met up with Karl, my wonderful host for the next week or so. Got to know each other over a few beers and was already in love with this town. The next day...our first adventure...canoeing! Something I'd never done before but why not?! The river had only just reopened after the floods that affected not only Calgary, but surrounding towns like Banff. 



The scenery here is just breathtaking. The mountains, the trees, the rivers, incredible. It was just a shame that the water wasn't as clear as it usually is, due to the flooding. I also loved how quiet it was whilst we went up the river, a refreshing change from the craziness of the cities. 


Beginner....can you tell?!



The following day, another first for me; hiking up a mountain! Karl and his mate went easy on me and took me up the easiest one. I was trying my best to put on my "this is easy" face whilst inside just wanting to sit down for a while! Made it up and man was it worth it. 

Spectacular views over Banff and on the other side it over looked the Banff golf course, valleys and other resorts.

At the top of Tunnel Mountain looking onto Banff



The other side of the mountain looking onto the Bow River and the golf course







The following day, whilst Karl was working, I decided to go out and explore, so I packed myself some lunch and headed for the Cave and Basin, going along the marsh loop. It was another beautiful day, so quiet and tranquil with again, amazing scenery.



Mountain ranges whilst on the Marsh loop trail



I then arrived at the Cave and Basin; the start of Banff National Park. Two men discovered a cave featuring hot springs and shortly after, it became protected, thus becoming Canada's first National Park. The hot springs were opened to the public and became a very popular tourist attraction, it was closed about quite a few years ago...hygiene reasons! The current residents at the springs are a rare snails that only live in this area. So guess you probably wouldn't want to swim there even if you could!







After my picnic lunch I headed for the Bow River Trail which leads to the Bow Falls. Another beautiful walk, lucky that I didn't arrive any earlier as most of the trails have only just been open. Parts near the river bank were still closed off but most was open. It is amazing to see the falls and then the river just opens up and flows between some incredible mountains. Part of it splits off and becomes the Spray River. It really is a sight to see.




Looking down onto Bow Falls 




Bow Falls




The Bow River as it turns after the falls


Spray River

June 30th, it was time for a night out, as it was the day before Canada day! Was a really cool night out...Canadians sure can party! The downside about nightlife here is that legally alcohol cannot be served after 2am...so back to the house to carry on the party! At around 3.30am, Karl and I had the crazy idea of hiking up Tunnel Mountain to see the sunrise! About half way up I was regretting agreeing to it, but when we got to the top...I'm so glad that we did it! Watching the sunrise over Banff was an amazing sight and was a brilliant way to start Canada Day! 



Red topped mountains at sunrise...stunning!




As we didn't get in til gone 6, slept in for quite a while. Treated myself to lunch and a cocktail during the Canada Day Parade. Met up with some friends in the evening to watch the Banff fireworks.


Of course we followed it up with another night on the town! A lovely end to a lovely day...








No comments:

Post a Comment