Wednesday 17 July 2013

Banff Part Two



Hi all,

The day after Canada Day, took it pretty easy after having two nights of partying. Had a nice stroll along the Bow River and just relaxed. The following day was up early and heading down to the Banff Springs hotel where we were setting off for our horseback riding trail along the Spray River. Karl had never been on a horse before so a first for him and was so nice to be on a horse again. There were probably close to ten of us going out and it was such a beautiful day and a really good trail. The highlight was definitely crossing the Spray River on horseback...so much fun!
Waiting patiently for us



 Going across the Spray River





After the ride I met up with Sheila as she was in Calgary so popped over to see me for a night. She decided to take me up Sulphur Mountain as it was such a gorgeous day. We cheated and went up the gondola, I wasn't complaining especially as we got it for free. Its all about who you know! We spent a lovely afternoon chatting and catching up in the most beautiful scenery. To top it all off we saw some big horned sheep with their little babies, perfect!
At the top of Sulphur Mountain
View of Lake Minnewanka from the Gondola up Sulphur Mountain

Big horned sheep at Sulphur Mountain



 


A quick shower and change at the hotel (which she so kindly let me stay in as to have a bit of luxury) we met up with Fred at a restaurant, just in time for happy hour. Great food, great drinks and fantastic company, perfect evening! The next day (after a gorgeous sleep in a lovely big bed!) we decided to head to the hot springs as it was a little chilly. The pool is heated to a rather hot 39 degrees! Would be amazing to experience it in the winter when its snowing. We then wandered over to the Banff Springs Hotel, the most luxurious hotel in Banff and the first hotel built there. It is reminiscent of a Scottish castle as Banff takes it's name from Banffshire in Scotland. Incredible views at the rear of the property looking into the Bow Valley.


 Back of the Banff Springs Hotel with Tunnel Mountain behind me

Bar at the Banff Springs Hotel


 After a lovely two days it was time to say goodbye to Sheila, not forgetting to use her contacts again to get me a free tour and a free airport transfer...bargain!

Had a leisurely lie in and then went to find a pub that was showing the last of the tennis, was Murray's semi final match. I met up with Karl after he had finished work and we headed up to the HI hostel to book a room as I was moving out that day. We had a lovely dinner at a Thai restaurant, Bamboo Garden. A little bit out of the way and obviously not as popular as restaurants on the main street, but the food was gorgeous! We went to the hostel to drop my stuff off with the intention of going straight out into town, but instead we went to the hostel bar. Met some really cool people and played some pool and then we discovered it was karoake night! So much fun, listening to old classics like the Vegaboys and Aqua! A great night all round!


 Banff Avenue




The following day I was nursing a hangover so took it easy and just popped into town to do some shopping and have a walk round Cascade Gardens. In the evening me and Karl met up for dinner again, this time opting for Nourish, a vegetarian restaurant! The food was incredible (even Karl the meat eater admitted it!) and the staff were fantastic!





 Cascade Gardens






Veggie Poutine and Wild Mushroom Ravioli!





Sunday 7th July, I'm sure you'll all know this date...the Wimbledon final! Over here it started at 7am so I got up early to watch the commentary before and grab some breakfast. I watched it in the hostel kitchen and I'm sure it became pretty clear that nobody was to touch the remote! Was an incredible match and I was sat on the edge of my seat throughout it. Was definitely worth getting up for! Was pretty knackered after that so I went to sleep for a while then went out and did some food shopping, pretty relaxed day.

The next day was pretty grey, rainy and chilly...reminded me of somewhere...I can't think?!!? Despite the weather I decided to go on a hike around to Hoodoos/Bow Valley. Even though the weather wasn't great, it was still a fantastic atmosphere as the mountains start to mist over and gives it quite a spooky feel. Pretty cool. Decided to have an early night as the following day I was going on the Mountains, Lakes and Waterfalls tour.




Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment